Saturday, September 12, 2009

Word of Mouth: How it Can Help You & Your Business


Photo by Kelleys-Creations. Keep your word-get more business.

Word of mouth is a very important part of business and that is why you should always do an outstanding job on any type of work you do for a living. From keeping in touch with the customer to doing fabulous work to starting and completing the job on time.

Here are two examples of word of mouth contractors I personally hired to do work around my home or cabin:

The first person I got raves about to hire ended up six months late in starting our house. This irritates my husband and I! We were going to have our home sided, a remodeled front porch, minor repairs by the back deck and new doors put on.

We waited…and waited….we missed putting out our Halloween decorations for the kids. They were disappointed but we were told that the contractor was coming to work on our house! Finally right before Christmas our home was complete!

The second word of mouth contractor I thought I’d try so he could install new carpeting and wood floors in two of the three bedrooms. I didn’t plan on having contractor number one do the work! (Although we did want an estimate from him as his prices were reasonable.)

So contractor one came in and measured the living room, stairway, hallway, and two bedrooms. He said he’d get back to us. Sure he would. Never heard from him. I even called him and left a message. When doing business with him the first time, I did immediately pay the bill--so it's not that!

Contractor 2 showed up in two days as scheduled (so I could do a little cleaning!), measured everything. He told us he could start in one week. Before hiring him, I told him it’s very important to us when you say you are coming to work that you actually DO! He assured me. He told me they’d be done in three days with everything. Contractor 2 kept his word! We were highly impressed with everything.

We just bought a cabin that needs extensive remodeling. Which word of mouth contractor do you think is going to get the job?

For more information on word of mouth and how it can help you (or hurt your future business!), please visit: http://www.preparednessmentor.com/.  

No comments:

Post a Comment